Maple Park Parish Dedicates New Bell Tower
December 6, 2018
MAPLE PARK—St. Mary of the Assumption Parish here dedicated a new bell tower on Oct. 21. 
 
The Klemm and Klotz families donated the funds. Ron Diehl had the bell restored. Roger and Ken Mangers did the excavation and Ed Campbell and Roger Mangers did the cement work. They are all parishioners and volunteered their time.
 
The bell was made in 1883 by Stuckstede Bell Foundry of St. Louis, Mo. The bell is 31 inches high and weighs approximately 600 pounds
 
Replacement value of a 31 inch bronze bell of this quality is approximately $27,000.
 
The bell has been a part of the parish for more than 130 years and may have been the bell for the St. Mary church  on the property before the present church was built.
 
The bell was removed from the north tower in October  2009 when the section of the tower that the bell was in was deemed unsafe and had to be taken down.
 
It was stored until June 2014 when  Diehl had it restored for the 100 year anniversary of St. Mary of the Assumption. 
 
The bell tolled again on a float during the Maple Park Parade that year and at the parish’s 100 year celebration.
 
The bell was placed in the present structure on Sept. 13, 2018 and was rung Sept. 16 at the 8 a.m. Mass.